Friday 8 November 2013

Musings of my mind...

I've been troubled by some of the recent news articles.  I guess the main one was the news of the 4 year old girl, mauled to death by her family dog. Now, we'll never truly know the full story, but only that which is reported in the media.  The facts that seem to have been ascertained so far are:
  • They lived in a flat
  • The dog had to be injured/killed before it would release it's hold on the girl.
  • The dog came from a rescue home
The last point, that the dog came from a rescue home is one which seems to have been a little uncertain.  Generally in the news it is reported that the mother recently took in a dog from an animal shelter; whether it was the animal that killed the daughter, is unknown, but it is assumed.

I am greatly troubled by this.  I know of many people who have taken in rescue animals; their homes and lifestyles have been scrutinised - but it is for the benefit of the animal being adopted, as well as the family; I am troubled, as it seems this scrutiny may have been bypassed - as I don't see how a large animal such as the breed in question in this case, would be suitable for a residence such as a flat.  M and I are currently living in a flat, and our lease does not permit us to have pets (M is allergic anyhow), but those around us who own their properties do, some have cats, and others have small dogs.  There is one family who have a collie dog, but they are in a slightly larger flat than ours.  But I would not dream of having a breed as big as the one in this case in anything but a house.  To me it is common sense.

I am all for rescuing animals, and if you have a particular breed in mind, then if that is where your interests lay then it is in best interest to seek that breed of dog; but surely making the judgement of what is suitable is also a responsibility.  Not just for you taking in the animal, but also the charity.

It is such sad events which have occurred, and I could not even begin to imagine what the family are feeling in this case.  My concerns are primarily with animal rescue charities, now I'm not saying all of them are bad, that is not what I am saying in the slightest, however, it does concern me that the relevant checks may not be being carried out in all cases; and this is the risk. 

Anything can happen.  I was attacked by a dog when I was three or four years old.  It was my aunts dog, and they had had him since he was a puppy.  I remember it happening, but in more recent years, my family have explained what happened.

We were all at my aunts and uncles, and it must have been autumn winter time as I remember it being quite cold.  Anyhow, the dog had been taken out for a walk, and it was a cold, wet and dark evening.  They returned from the walk in through the back door into the kitchen.  The dog shook out his fur as dogs do.  It was at this time, that little me walked into the kitchen, not fully realising that the dog had shaken, and made the floor wet and slippery.  I slipped and fell on my back, as I did, my legs kicked the back legs  of the dog,  as I went to get up, the dog turned, and pinned me, face down to the floor.  He had the back of my head in his jaws, and his paws were on my shoulders.  My dad and granddad pulled the dog off me, and me away.  I remember being carried upstairs to the bathroom where I remember being sat on the toilet and everyone coming in looking at me... I remember my top being pulled down at the back and the scratches from his claws being cleaned.  As I was wearing clothing, the scratches were superficial.  Luckily, I had no lasting physical injuries.  But the psychological damage is there forever.  I have a fear of dogs that I do not know; but even with dogs I do know and trust, I don't ever let myself fully relax with them.  I am always aware.
That dog was not put down.  But I never got close to that dog again.   Any time we'd go to my aunt and uncles that dog was shut in the conservatory.  It was at least 8 years before I would be in the same room as the dog, and even then he would have to be being held by someone, and I would be at the other end of the room, as far away as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment