Wednesday 13 November 2013

How do you know it's Christmas?

M and I went to the Ideal Home at Christmas show... To be honest, we were not that impressed.  Luckily we had managed to get free tickets through Money Savings Expert.

It was nice, and I got that little excited holiday buzz when we walked through the door. But on the whole... it didn't have a lot of Christmas about it, there were a mere handful of Christmas stalls.. I had hoped that we could get some Christmas decorations for our first Christmas together in the flat... but nothing jumped out at us, and anything we did see and like the look of, we both thought that I can make that instead! So, we thought we'd go and see the Christmas lights on Oxford St (it wasn't dark enough to take a decent picture, but I'm sure I'll be back there before the big day), and nip into the department stores. So that's what we did. +John Lewis ... bought a Star for the top of our tree and looked at tree skirts, and again thought.... I can make that. So looked for fabric. We both know the colour we want, its just finding the right one. I did manage to track down the pattern for the poodle skirt for my mum though... so a haberdashery visit not gone to waste! Then went onto Selfridges, and thanks to the lovely ladies at +pixiwoo  ; (they are my make up gurus, their Youtube channel is here and their website is here) I tracked down two Mac eyeshadows... "Club" and "Trax" both for a kind of smoky look.. (PS. The +pixiwoo ladies also have a great range of make up brushes which I swear by... it is on my to do list to put a bit up about my love for all things make-up +realtechniques ).

Anyhow.. I sidetracked. How do you know it's Christmas? Well we now seem to be a generation who are at the mercy of clever marketing... These are the "signals" its getting close to Christmas.
  1. The Coca-Cola Christmas advert
  2. The red cups in +Starbucks Coffee 
  3. The Toys R Us advert and theme tune
  4. The John Lewis and +M&S adverts (yes, I group these together!)
  5. Every restaurant seeming to provide set menu's
Now. I'm no scrooge.  Honest I'm not.  But all the expense and stress for one day.  Just one day.  I love Christmas for the decoration, the festivities. I'm really not one for over spending money and being broke! (It just so happens that M and I's over time and additional funds are being paid to us in December... that works out well!).

Anyhow... that begins the Christmas countdown.... YIKES!

No comments:

Post a Comment